Saturday, September 01, 2007

Happy Belated Birthday Malaysia…

I just read a bulletin on Friendster. It kind of gave me a little shock at it's contents. Especially since we just celebrated our nation's 50th birthday. Here, let me paste it for you:

Dato' Sri Mohd Najib bin Tun Haji Abdul Razak the deputy prime minister of Malaysia had been invited to officiate the opening of Monash University Malaysia new campus. Monash Malaysia being made up of a multi-cultural society can, not only be seen in its international and local students but as well as teaching and admin staffs.


 

By inviting a racist that threatened to drench the keris (a type of dagger) in Chinese blood clearly contradicts the values Monash uphold in being a international university.


 

Najib, doing so for political gains or for whatever reasons clearly shows that he's unfit to be a leader. Other issues such as corruption regarding purchases of fighter lanes, tanks, submarines and as well as the recent murder case of Altantuya are alleged to have been cover-up by the government. Being a former educational minister that supported the university and uni colleges act as well as the 'aku- janji' contract to silent critics and activism had crippled the Malaysian education system of allowing students to think for themselves.


 

The product of our Malaysian education can be seen even in our own campus where students don't question and just follow. Participation in events tend to be sadly low. Local graduates end up not being able to find jobs because they are exposed to the real world where things are different. Who are we to blame? Ourselves? The government? The university/school... etc?


 

By associating ourselves with Najib clearly shows the path we are taking, and not only us but the future generation of Monash students as well. So ask and think about it, is Najib worthy of officiating our new campus? Is it because he's the only available VIP? or because Monash filled his pocket with money? This article has been modified to protect the interest of certain parties. Please forward and share with your friend if you find this article relevant and it reflects your views.

Written by Evilbunny

"The best ideas comes from the worse minds"


 

Now, people, don't get me wrong. I love my country a lot. It's just that reading about this make me wonder, you know? If a Chinese politician were stupid enough to have said something like this he'd have been tossed into ISA a long time ago. Other than that, Najib has said some pretty dumb things in the past. However, all this was said so long ago (1989) and really, the past is the past. If he were to say something like this now, in the wake of Namawee's song, all hell may pretty much break loose.


 

The truth, and sadly so, is that Malaysian Chinese are getting sick of being screwed over. I will be the first to admit that I would most likely migrate to some other country where everyone has an equal chance in achieving their goals and dreams. I'm not disillusioned that the grass is greener on the other side. I know that no matter where we go, race is what segregates us not matter how "civilised" and "modern" a country may be. The American dream is just a dream, but it can come true in so many countries around the world. In Malaysia however, I don't think I can ever see it truly happening.


 

It breaks my heart to see so many of our brightest and most talented people go overseas because Malaysia has nothing to offer them. Doesn't the government wonder why when you interview fresh grads, the first thing they say is "I think Singapore is where the jobs are!". The competition there is very tight and the jobs are few, but then why do our grads fight to work in Singapore? I'm in the biotechnology field and for years, I have been waiting with an abated breath for the BioValley to begin showing up on the map. Sadly, the times I've been to Putrajaya, I haven't even seen a peep. So, either it's a really hush-hush project, or I'm blind, or it isn't happening. Due to this, as much as I want to finish my degree, I can't help but feel a bit worried as to where I'll find work.


 

One of my dear friends in uni, a Malay guy, was telling us how he wanted to open a eatery near the uni so students can eat. It would earn a lot of money as the students really are getting annoyed at the uni cafeteria. Then we all began to discuss how wonderful it would be. One of us mentioned that the Sunway area was delegated to be a industrial area and that he wouldn't be able to build a shop there. He laughed and told us that if he really wanted to, he could, and it would be legit. To that, we laughed and answered "Malaysia Boleh!". The next few words that made me stop laughing was the stark realisation that even the Malays realised the "unfair" treatment of other races. This is what my friend said, "What do you mean by 'Malaysia Boleh!'? it's Melayu Boleh!"


 

Just a little something for all of you to ponder on in event of our nation's birthday. And again, I insist. I love my nation to bits. I love the people, the food and the climate (though sometimes I wish I could shoot the sun out) and I love living here. Don't go thinking I'm a racist, I love all my friends, Malay, Chinese, Indian, ethnic groups, so please, don't take this post the wrong way.

3 comments:

Y0n6z said...

Sad to say thts the "Inconvienient Truth" of the country but wht can we do? We point out the truth, they shut us up and cover it up. How can we go forward with all this happening? Sigh..and they keep wondering why.

Charles said...

omfg! my article is being used... cool

please visit

http://noobmonash.blogspot.com/

Charles said...

sry... change d add d

http://msianbunny.blogspot.com/