Wednesday, May 20, 2009

MBB last pract... Thank HEAVENS!

I thank God and all that is holy that it is the final MBB practical for the semester. I really don't ever want to have anything to do with this subject again. Sadly however, that will not be the case for me as I have to be involved, still, for the next semester. I really wish that there was someone who could just take the reins from me entirely.


 

As you can see, I'm not too keen on doing this subject anymore. Not only is it not really the subject I signed up to do, but there are also things running around in the background. The instructions I receive for the practical is almost always late, to the point I have to rush to get it done. I hate to have to put up with this last minute work and I really can't stand. It's this rushed work and lack of communication that resulted in today's debacle.


 

Yesterday evening, around 3.30 to 4.00pm, I received instructions to provide a certain type of material to the students for them to do their experiment. As there was no specifics being mentioned, I assumed it was the same type as the one that we usually provided, of which I have. There is also a different, cheaper type that could be bought in bulk and is disposable. Note, I have no idea what is going on, how the experiment is being run and the specifications of the experiment.


 

Just not more than 30 minutes ago, I got told off for providing the "wrong" type to the students. I defended myself in that I did not know the specifications of the experiment, and I wasn't aware that a certain type was needed for the experiment to run. As I stood there, getting told off, I couldn't help but feel indignant as I was poorly informed of the particulars of the experiment. It was assumed that I knew almost everything about the specifications of the analytical machines and it was, in summary, all my fault.


 

I think I have made it clear, more than once, that I want nothing to do with this subject anymore. I prefer my plants that are straightforward with set parameters. I prefer the lecturer that handles the subject as she is always accessible and always willing to sit down to discuss her subject with me. I rather know beforehand, like 2 weeks beforehand, what to expect of the experiment so I have time to trouble shoot. I like the idea of sitting down to discuss the experiments before the semester begins, instead of playing it by ear.


 

I'm going to train N up well these few weeks from now and make sure I won't need to have anything to do with MBB ever again...

No comments: